Microsoft OLE DB Provider for ODBC Drivers error ‘80004005’
[Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver][Shared Memory]General network error. Check your network documentation.
/site/path/to/script/aspfile.asp, line #
..and that’s what it throws you!
At about this point you may want to scream, or just be a tad annoyed by that damn machine running your site.
Basically your server is either one of two things, and those are:
- Server is “Just Plain Shit”
The error is caused because the script is struggeling to connect to the database server – may it even be in the same damn box with same IP and all – and sometimes fails, so shows you it’s overloaded groan.
The ways to correct this are to:
- Ping the IP to see if there is any reply.
- Confirm the database server is actually running.
- Try login via remote desktop and see if there are any processes flooding the CPU usage.
- FTP into the machine to see if all connections to it are slow or just the SQL server.
- ..or you could just wait a few minutes and check again, this is often all it needs.
Point number 5 can only be seen as a hope more than an actual fix.
If you site has a lot of traffic and it cannot afford random downtimes then you will need to investigate the problem and even fork out some more $$$ for an upgrade to that box that keeps freezing on everyone!